Monday, January 14, 2013

A Way to Reheat Pizza

This is one way that I reheat pizza. I have a gas stove and a pan with a lid that I can put in the oven. First, I turn on the oven, then I turn a burner on high and put the pan on it. While it's heating up I get the slice of pizza out of the refrigerator and put it in the pan. I let the pan heat up until it is quite hot. I put the lid on it and keep it on the stove for another minute or so, then I put it in the oven. The oven need not be at temperature, but I set it to maybe 400F. I leave it in there a while. I check it, and when the cheese is bubbling I take it out. I try to make sure I use a towel or potholder to take it out. I've forgotten to do that more times than I care to remember. If it's not quite bubbly, I might put it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so. I like to drizzle it with olive oil once it's on the plate, though sometimes I put the olive oil on at the beginning, or not at all.

This method has the advantage of not taking as much time as some methods. Also, although just the microwave is faster, too much time in the microwave ruins the crust. I also like to zap take out pizza for 10-20 seconds just to warm it up. It does a good job as long as you don't leave it in too long.

Also, I keep bread in the fridge, and when I want to make toast, and particularly when the bread is a little old, I put it in the microwave for a few seconds. It changes stale bread into something resembling fresh bread. It also helps it toast better, since if it is too dry, it may burn in the toaster. I learned on the TV (Cooks Country) that stale bread is different than dry bread. The moisture in stale bread is still there, it's just bound up in the bread. My experience with microwaving bread is consistent with this. Microwaving it seems to mysteriously change stale bread into fresh bread, as long as you don't do it for too long.

No comments: